aprilia SuperBike.com

aprilia SuperBike.com

Go Back   aprilia SuperBike.com > Aprilia RSV4 Forums > Aprilia RSV4 Engine Forum
Forums Members List Calendar
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Default Aprilia RSV4 ECU and Aftermarket Exhaust Facts

The bottom line is if you want to run a Slip on or Full aftermarket Exhaust system on your RSV4 you have to install the Race ECU due to a lean condition around the 7K RPM range, PERIOD. (See Dyno)

When it comes to the Aprilia Race ECU (Known as the Akra Mapping) you can either go to your local dealership and for a fee they will (Unlock the Stock ECU) and upload the Race/Akra Mapping but if you do this you will never be able to reload the Stock mapping. Another way is to buy the Race ECU and then if you sell your bike or decide to go back to stock you can remove the Race ECU and sell it.

So what's the difference you ask?

RSV4 ECU Modes

Modes for stock bike and Stock ECU mapping
T= is full stock power all gears
S= sport, the SPORT mode has been designed for sporting use. In this mode, vehicle performance is reduced in the first and second gear.
R= road The ROAD mode has been designed for road use. The system reduces the maximum torque supplied by the engine and smoothly delivers it so as to prevent loss of grip. In this mode the motorcycle's performance is limited, and therefore, the maximum speed cannot be reached.

Modes for Akra Race mapping in a unlocked Race ECU
An Unlocked/Race ECU will say RACE on the dash for all these modes

The ECU is loaded with the three Akra maps R, S and T, all of which are full power maps designed for open pipes with no cat.

R Mode limits torque in the first three gears (recommended for less experienced riders in poor grip conditions).

S Mode is a “full power” map, but with a softer throttle response.

T Mode is a “full power” map with extremely direct throttle response (recommended for expert riders).
Attached Thumbnails
rsv4dyno1.jpg  
Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Stock ECU?

My dealer told me that I need to have the AKRA mapping in my ECU to see a difference with an after market exhaust. Up to 7% increase in power. Is this true?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Yup that's a fact. Without the Akra Map the bike will run lean and that's with either a slipon or full aftermarket exhaust.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Ive just bought a secondhand akro system off ebay along with a bazzaz that guy had fitted and told me its been mapped on dyno.
Now i did read somewhere the otherday that even though ive got the bazzaz i still need to get akro race map unlocked?
Now that doesnt seem to make any sence to me, so anyone know if this is true or BS??
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbloodyskintagain View Post
Ive just bought a secondhand akro system off ebay along with a bazzaz that guy had fitted and told me its been mapped on dyno.
Now i did read somewhere the otherday that even though ive got the bazzaz i still need to get akro race map unlocked?
Now that doesnt seem to make any sence to me, so anyone know if this is true or BS??

Here's what I know. Things like the Powercommander and Bazazz are all very basic add-on boxes that can richen or lean the fueling from whatever the ECU is putting out based only on RPM and throttle position (TP%).

The stock ECU sets fueling on many more factors like temperatures, throttle demand changes, demand rate of change, pressures, etc not to forget our very advanced RBW system on the RSV4 which definitely comes into play.

Those add-on boxes are more of a fine tuning device and they have limits. They cannot alter ignition timing or any of the RBW settings. All those Parameters get changed with the RACE mapping. Full power ignition, full power RBW settings, and full power fueling. The RACE mapped ECU is the only way to change those parameters from stock.

The bottom line is you still need the ECU putting out good information to the Bazazz or Powercommander and then you custom fine tune it on a dyno or a self learning setup.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Here's what I know. Things like the Powercommander and Bazazz are all very basic add-on boxes that can richen or lean the fueling from whatever the ECU is putting out based only on RPM and throttle position (TP%).

The stock ECU sets fueling on many more factors like temperatures, throttle demand changes, demand rate of change, pressures, etc not to forget our very advanced RBW system on the RSV4 which definitely comes into play.

Those add-on boxes are more of a fine tuning device and they have limits. They cannot alter ignition timing or any of the RBW settings. All those Parameters get changed with the RACE mapping. Full power ignition, full power RBW settings, and full power fueling. The RACE mapped ECU is the only way to change those parameters from stock.

The bottom line is you still need the ECU putting out good information to the Bazazz or Powercommander and then you custom fine tune it on a dyno or a self learning setup.
Damn!!!
Bloody aprilia aint cheap when it comes to getting a system fitted and mapped
I would think secondhand values of akro systems will be low due to having to purchase a new race ecu to make it work right
Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator

AF1.com will reprogram your stock ECU with the Race map if you send it to them for around $250 but then you'll have to trailer the bike to a dealership to have them hook the Navigator to it to run the throttle learning procedure on it before you'll be able to ride it.

As for cost, the RSV4 is cheaper to run an aftermarket exhaust then my Ducati 1198S if that makes you feel better.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
AF1.com will reprogram your stock ECU with the Race map if you send it to them for around $250 but then you'll have to trailer the bike to a dealership to have them hook the Navigator to it to run the throttle learning procedure on it before you'll be able to ride it.

As for cost, the RSV4 is cheaper to run an aftermarket exhaust then my Ducati 1198S if that makes you feel better.
Wish they were in the uk buddy

I have asked 2 uk aprilia dealers if i can purchase race map for my ecu and they said not unless i buy a full akro system
So, my cheapest option,if you can call it that, is gonna be to purchase a race ecu off aprilia which i can get for around 285 delivered, then just the extra cost of getting a local aprilia dealer to sync it upto my bike.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 PM

what happens when you buy the racing ecm for the bike do we have to still have the navigator to learn the throttle ????
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Any time you change the ECU from the original the throttle learning has to be done.
Links

Tags
bazazz, powercommander, race map